Monday, May 25, 2009

Day 12 - Puno, Peru

This morning I caught a bus to Puno, Peru from Copacabana, Bolivia. The bus had everyone get out at the border and go through Bolivian customs and then walk a few blocks to the Peru border to go through Peruvian customs. Before we could get our passports stamped in Peru we had to go through a swine flu check. Everyone on the bus got a huge kick out of this because all of the symptoms are listed and of course everyone on the bus has a few of them - runny nose, cough, headache. After we were cleared from swine flu we were able to enter the customs office and were welcomed into Peru.

The bus ride was 4 hours and quite uneventful. I jammed out on my iPod to various music and took a nap. I arrived in Puno just in time for lunch and to watch a marching band and parade go by. I have checked into a little hotel near the plaza and I am going to roam around Puno.

First impression: Very hectic city compared to those I have been in during my time in Bolivia (except La Paz, which is nuts). There are tons of people on the streets here and like I said before, I was able to see a little parade as I came into town. I have heard there is a great coffee shop/bakery nearby so I am going to go wander around town and check that out as well. Peru is already proving to be more expensive that Bolivia but it is still extremely cheap compared to the U.S. My room is only $5 a night so I can´t complain!

Off to wander...post more pictures later...

No comments: