I had to get up bright and early this morning to eat breakfast, pick up a boxed lunch I ordered yesterday, and head for the boat that would be taking me to Isle del Sol. The boat was not quite ready to load when I got there and on top of that, there was a family standing on the dock changing clothes. The father, 2 sons, and a younger daughter were all stripping down and putting on clothes out of these bags the mother had. I have no idea why they could not change in their car parked right there on the beach but it was bizarre.
The boat finally boarded and we headed towards the island. The ride was about 1.5 hours and had to have been the slowest boat ride of my life. I couldn´t believe they wouldn´t kick it up a notch because they had 2 engines but I guess the whole lake is a no wake zone? Anyway, The boat dropped everyone off at the north end of the island and the idea was to walk about 45 minutes to the northern most point and then walk all the way south to the other end of the island, which took about 3 hours. Along the way there were ruins and parts of an old Inca trail that you followed across the ridge line of the island. The highest point was 4,000 meters, which is higher than Mt. Adams!
The view was spectacular from both the boat and along the whole trail. I can´t even describe how massive Lake Titicaca is other than to say it´s as close to the size of an ocean for being a body of freshwater. You could water ski on the lake for miles and miles and never need to make a turn!
On the hike back to the boat I met 2 guys from Seattle. This seems to be the trip to meet folks from home. I was as surprised as they were but this was also not my first Seattle encounter on this trip (I have come to realize that the majority of US travelers are from the west coast...usually California or Washington State). The trip back to Copacabana, we all sat on the top deck so we could have a better view and enjoy the sunshine. On the way back we stopped at a floating village, which actually turned out to be a huge joke because it was the most fake thing I have ever seen. I am shocked that people actually got off the boat to check it out. However, 3/4 of the boat stayed on board because we thought it was so ridiculous.
I'm in the process of uploading pictures right now so I will have some up soon!
Sunday, May 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment