
This morning started out with a big breakfast with Uta´s family (mom, dad, 2 brothers, their girlfriends, her boyfriend, and a father of one of the girlfriends). We had several different types of bread, meat, cheese, and spreads - a typical German breakfast. After we finished eating, we headed out to a set of apple orchards not far from their house. We picked 3 giant crates full of apples and towed them on a trailer to a factory that will turn them into apple juice and bottle it for them. Uta´s family has a tradition of doing this every year and for a very small amount of money they are able to bottle about 400-600 bottles of apple juice to last them all year. I tried a bottle from last season and it was super tasty!
I think one of the best parts of apple picking (besides that it was new to me) was watching her family interact. They all get along so well and joke with each other. Although they mostly spoke German amongst themselves (they also speak fluent English), I could see how much they enjoyed each others company. It was refreshing.
After we dropped off the apples we went back to their house for tea and cake. Uta and her mom are both awesome bakers! After cake I started to work on getting my Germany pictures uploaded and now I am going to head out to the vineyards and snag some pictures. Tomorrow I am going to go for a hike in the Black Forest! I can´t wait!

No comments:
Post a Comment