Sunday, October 04, 2009

Redwood National Park

We got up super early this morning and took showers that were far colder than I would have liked. Actually, Shawn had a hot shower and I was the unfortunate one to go in the shower that was mediocre at best. But, a shower is a shower so I am not going to complain too much!

We headed out to go for a couple of short hikes in Redwood National Park to check out the gigantic trees and get a little morning exercise before heading south. We also got a chance to see a huge elk hanging out in one of the fields near our camp!




This is a picture of me half asleep showing how huge some of the trees are. I am 5'4 and this tree is wider than I am tall. However, there were trees that were WAY bigger than this one!

After hiking we headed south with the intention of cruising down the Costal Highway (101) all the way to just north of San Francisco. Along the way we took the 32 mile road coined Avenue of the Giants that jogs parallel to Hwy 101. The trees along this road are over 360 feet tall and 2,000 years old. These trees are actually the tallest trees in the world!

As for the rest of the drive, it was fairly uneventful though beautiful. However, we did see a couple of interesting things:

1) Mexican illegals getting arrested outside of Laytonville.

2) I was just stuck in a traffic jam bcause some farmer had a bounce house on the edge of his corn field and kids were jumping on it. People felt compelled to rubber neck and caused about 20 miles of traffic.




Oh, and I had In-N-Out burger for dinner...bad for you but oh so delicious!

AND got a few pretty decent bottles of champagne for $3.99 to $4.99. Check out the receipt...

No comments: