Saturday, November 22, 2008

Day 9 - Siem Reap Update

After I blogged I walked down to Pub Street and sat at a bar looking out on the street. After a while, the street was hopping with tourists, live music, etc. I guess the fun part of Siem Reap is at night only because during the day I was scared of staying here for 3 days. It turns out Siem Reap is a pretty cool town after all.

Down from Pub Street there are 2 night markets that are pretty cool. A guy asked me if I wanted to get a massage and pointed to what looked like a hot tub. I said, no thanks. Later, I saw another one so I decided to walk up to it. It was hundreds of fish that eat the dead skin off of your feet. I had heard of a nail salon in Washington State doing it and charging $60 a session. Apparently, Washington State government felt it was animal cruelty and shut it down but I did remember hearing about it a few months ago. The 2 people with their feet in the tub were a woman and her son who are from Chicago and also had lived in Seattle. However, now they live in Vietnam. I chatted with them for a while and it turns out that Angkor Wat was so bad with people harassing you because the tourism industry is taking a hit since the global economy is tanking. It all makes sense now...

Oh, I also found a killer bakery called Blue Pumpkin and had an apple turnover. Tomorrow I plan on getting a hot fudge brownie sundae! Yum, taste of home!

P.S. Beers are 50 cents a piece here, SWEET! I also figured out I have American TV in my room so I am going to go drown in it for a few hours in the A/C instead of sweating and walking the streets. It will be nice to listen to something other than broken English, even if it's an inanimate object! Tomorrow I'll stay out later and really soak up the Siem Reap nightlife as well as upload all my pictures.

No comments: