Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thoughts and things I left out...

The day we were supposed to go fishing it poured down rain. That day was also the 175th anniversary of Garifuna Settlement Day. They first arrived in Belize in 1832 and they were celebrating by getting into boats and floating around the island playing tribal music and wearing traditional Garifuna clothing. We just happened to be pulling up to the dock at the same time they were coming by so we got to listen and see the celebration.

Also, November 20th is Universal Children's Day here. Apparently the United Nations and UNESCO have been recognizing it since 1954. The purpose is to show world fraternity and understanding between children. As I was heading back into Belize City yesterday I saw children celebrating and going home from school early. I've never heard of Children's Day...guess the US doesn't celebrate it's children ;)

I read an article in the Caye Caulker newspaper during dinner that got me thinking...

As we are approaching the end of November and the Christmas season is coming, I started to think about how American's observe "Black Friday". People get to stores as early as 4 a.m. for great deals on presents for the coming Christmas season. The US also just celebrated Thanksgiving and gave thanks for the food and liberties we have. We (less Melody, Tom, and I) ate turkey and stuffing while enjoying the company of our friend and family. It seems like such a jolly time for all Americans but then I start to think about the people of Belize. They don't get to eat lavish dinners or even big Christmas dinners for that matter.

This is a third world country. I have to keep reminding myself of that fact as I eat a lobster and shrimp dinner that is $35 BZD, which equates to $17.50 USD and feel excited for the fact that I have been eating great meals for such a small price in this country. For them, Black Friday is something they can only see on American television that they pipe in via Direct TV. Very few people of Belize will get to experience what Black Friday is as they scrape together money to buy presents.

Last night I met a couple who are in the Peace Corp in Belmopan, Belize. They are teachers and help build homes and schools for the youth of Belmopan. They each only make about $500 BZD a month ($250 USD) to work for the next 2.5 years here. It really made me think about what I can do to help the cause - maybe not in Belize but somewhere in the world that has the same type of living conditions but lack of education, maybe somewhere like Guatemala.

The one thing I do know is: The people of Belize are happy. They are grateful for what they have and they live with what they have. Come visit Belize and help grow the tourism industry. It's such a beautiful country with people so friendly and willing to help. This has been a great experience for me!

No comments: