Last year a young guy from Washington, Colin Haley, completed the Cerro Del Torre traverse, which has been attempted by many but completed by none until last year. Ever since I watched Colin give his slide show at Feathered Friends, I've been intrigued by this area of Patagonia.
Over the weekend I read a blog about a team consisting of 3 men that were American and Belgian that wanted to free climb what is called the South African Route on the East Face of the Central Tower of Paine in Patagonia, Chile. This route was established in the early 70's, yet it is said that this recent ascent is only the third ascent of this route. This gives you an idea of difficulty and commitment that very few teams have accomplished their attempts.
If you want more information on this climb you can read about it on their expedition's website.
I saw this video as I was browsing the site and thought it was funny and a classic example of how insane and fun climbers are! This is a video of them on one of their portaledges (where they sleep on the face of the mountain). Check out the view!
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment