Friday, November 11, 2011

Whitsundays Islands, Austrslia

We left Airilie Beach at 7:30 a.m. to meet the sailboat to cruise around the Whitsundays Islands. The boat was an 85ft purple catamaran named Cimera. The crew loaded up all the passengers and took us sailing around the various islands telling us a little history about each island we passed. The photos we took will not do this place justice. It is one of the prettiest beach areas I have ever been to.

After sailing all morning we finally got to Whitehaven Beach, which is the #1 Eco Beach in the world and one of the top 10 Most Beautiful Beaches in the World. The sand is so fine it is perfect for polishing jewelry and making glass. It doesn't absorb the heat from the sun, it only reflects it. It felt every different to walk on than any other sand I have come across because of this and apparently, it is illegal to remove the sand from the beach. We spent about an hour on the beach before boarding the boat for lunch and our snorkel stop on the way back to Airlie Beach. I am convinced the reflection aspect of the sand is why I am burnt to a crisp!

While sailing we met a number of really cool folks from Germany, Canada, and the U.S. Once we got back to shore, we had them all back to hour hotel for drinks and then headed out for dinner. We have since connected on Facebook and I have a feeling we will be seeing them again, if not in Sydney, then back in the US at some point.

No comments: