Wednesday, July 15, 2009

McClellan Butte
























Wednesday morning I was supposed to get up at 4 a.m. and go climb Sloan Peak, but I wasn't really feeling it. I wanted to give my feet a break before the big climb I have planned for this weekend but still get exercise; basically, do an easier hike rather than a 10+ hour mountaineering trip.

I shot a text message over to Amy to see if she wanted to head out on a hike on the I-90 corridor. I had Granite Mountain in mind but Amy flipped through a book of selected hikes that I brought with me in the car. She thought McClellan Butte looked interesting so we decided to go for it as it is a hike I have not done.

The route description was totally off as far as the way the trail was laid out and I'm also fairly certain the trail is longer than it says in the book. I talked with others that verified they think it is longer as well. Anyway, this hike did not turn out to be the "easy" day hike I was looking for it was on the more strenuous side, especially for Amy. However, she was a champ and powered through the whole thing!

The top is a cool summit pyramid of rock you can scramble up. I made the scramble and Amy stayed at the end of the trail, as she is afraid of heights, and this is one of those scrambles you cannot freeze on or it could be detrimental....any slip and you're a goner on this one.

Click Here for Pictures

No comments: