Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Mt. Olympus and The Hoh Rainforest

The trip total was about 50 miles roundtrip and this was just the beginning...


Just the beginning...


The trees were mammoth!

Mt. Olympus is peaking through in the background as we climb the last 500 or so feet to the base camp called Glacier Meadows.


Darren and I

The climbing ranger wasn't there for the summer so we staked out his spot and used the deck as our base camp!


Our base camp

We hiked up to the moraine to scope out the route and saw a bear and a mountain goat within 20 feet of us!


Bear near by our camp


Avalanche Lilies


Mountain Goat on the Moraine


Hiking up to the moraine

This picture puts it into perspective as to how small we are compared to the mass of this glacier. I have other pictures of the Snow Dome with people coming down and they looked like ants!


People crossing the Blue Glacier


Tom and I getting ready to head across the Blue Glacier


Standing on top of the Snow Dome


Sunrise over the mountains


Sunrise over the mountains 2


Me with the sunrise!


Scanning back to Tom and Darren - crevasses in the background


Darren looking down on Tom and I as we go up Crystal Pass


Tom and I belaying Darren


Me at the summit of Mt. Olympus


Darren and I at the summit


Getting ready for our descent


Darren, Tom, and I at the summit!


View 1


View 2


View 3


Tom and I at the Summit


Rappelling down from the summit


View 4


Yes, we did climb this! It wasn't even the steepest or longest of the snow climbs.

View 5

Coming back up the other side.

View 6


View 7


Tom and I with ice fall in the background

1 comment:

Bud Fisher said...

Terrific shots. Interesting blog.
Good luck!