Tuesday, October 28, 2008

New Chapter

One thing you can always count on in life is change.

The last couple months I have been pretty unhappy in the relationship I was in. I couldn't quite put my finger on what the problem was as we looked great on paper. We have the same interests, similar goals and aspirations in life, etc. However, I couldn't shake this feeling inside of me that something was fundamentally wrong with the relationship.

Last week I took 3 full days of space from him to try and figure out what was going on. Was I being too critical? Did I just not want to be with him? Was I afraid of commitment? I told myself that I would take a deep breath every time I started to feel irritated. Maybe this was my doing and not his. I hung out with him the first day and things were great. I hung out with him a second day and things were just ok. I hung out with him for part of a third day and I realized I just couldn't be around him anymore I was so unhappy.

In the end, it wasn't me being critical it's that we have completely conflicting personalities among other issues. I cannot be around him. He's one of those people that you meet and may like but can only be around in small doses. It took me longer to figure that out than it has other people but it was the case nonetheless. I gave the relationship my all and worked harder on it than I have on any other and it just didn't work. I learned a lot from it so I'm thankful for that.

I can't wait for my trip to Thailand! I can now take my trip as initially planned...by myself, exploring a new culture, and enjoying meeting new people. I can't wait! 17 days and counting...

Here is to a new chapter in my book of life!

No comments: